The “aquarium”

For Intro to Fab’s enclosure assignment, I did an “aquarium” box made of clear acrylic.

The size of the box is pretty big – 30x12x18, which needs 2 sheets of 32×18 acrylic and 2 sheets of 36×24. I drew the draft and got most of the pieces cut directly at Canal Plastic as they got a huge laser cutter.

photo_1206_4a

photo_1206_7d

 

The biggest challenge of making this box was to keep the edges perfectly matching and got every side stand vertically. To achieve this I actually watched an online tutorial and started from glueing the first front sheet, which was supported by two big clamps and a 90 degree ruler, to the bottom sheet.

 

photo_1206_5d

And then the side sheet:

1167801357

 

Glueing the first two sheets took most time of my work, things got a bit easier after having these two standing steadily.

After getting four sides sheets glued, I made a lid that could be taken out and fit in easily.

 

1818435098

The final product showed below:

 

photo_1207_1a

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

jellyfish tank

Aquarium is my second favorite spot when I have no where to go (art gallery goes first lol), and among all the fascinating marine creatures, I’m most interested in luminous jellyfish.

Medusae

Sharing the feature of luminous, I want to create a small jellyfish “tank” using light blue transparent acrylic.

sketch

I illustrated jellyfish and small bubbles and engraved it separately on eight different sheets

%e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e5%bf%ab%e7%85%a7-2016-11-16-%e4%b8%8b%e5%8d%8810-49-37

 

photo_1116_1d

 

the lit up effect was not bad at all :

photo_1117_16a

instead of glue sheets together, I found it a better way to give space among each sheet and place it on a transparent base. The problem I came across was that even though I cut the slit according to the thickness of blue acrylic, it could not fit the sheets perfectly as it has been cut  3~4 times and became a bit wider than expected. To solve this, I glued sheets with the slit instead and it took me longer time and made it not that vertical and elegant also. Lessons learned.

Engraved jellyfish is kind of invisible when there’s no light beneath.

222

but pretty obvious and lit up when flashlight applied(would add led stripe underneath this week) even the little dust attached seems part of the marine cube.

3333

 

 

Final project inspiration

secret messages canvas / secret code

%e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e5%bf%ab%e7%85%a7-2016-11-10-%e4%b8%8b%e5%8d%8812-20-02

%e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e5%bf%ab%e7%85%a7-2016-11-10-%e4%b8%8b%e5%8d%8812-22-13

Inspired by a secret message  “n 55!w ! ”

which is actually ” I miss you ”

you type in real messages/questions? and show up in a random language/letter order/emoji on a huge canvas

use phone? a typewriter? ink?

background voice reading these messages randomly – voice output?

 

letters to yourself in 10 years?

 

 

 

 

wooden earring box

This week we were assigned to make 5 pieces of same thing. As I have strong interest in making some wood stuff, I bought a long and narrow piece of oak wood from homedepot (I love its texture and color from first sight, I should have thought about what to make with it before buying it though)

Had no idea what to make for 2 days, I made up my mind to do some small wooden box that can place my baby earrings.

First step was to cut them into five pieces. I practiced with ply wood picked from junk before cutting oak.

1

photo_1109_10a

Obsessed with ellipse shape, I added three circle elements into its design – a flat sunk ellipse for placing small earrings/rings, a circular ring which used to hang bigger earrings, and a hole to hold the circular ring.(Thanks to Ben for lending me the flat drill bit).

3

4

To cut out 5 same rings, I used two sizes of round drill bits to cut out the ring, made jigs to place every piece of wood in same position and it worked well. However the problem was the rings seem too thick to fit my wooden box. To solve this I cut them in Band Saw but they were not cut very evenly. I ended up with sanding them to the same size.

The final products look like this:

5

 

Synthesis – ICM + PCOMP

 

Chester and I worked together on synthesis last week. We decided to create something based on one of my previous sketches while make it a bit more “supernova style” by adding a bumping core. To connect it with arduino,I tried the combination of photocell + p5js and Chester made a version of FSR + p5js. I’m totally fascinated by how interesting interaction can be like between arduino and p5.It definitely gives me more possibilities and inspirations on upcoming works.

Here’s a higher resolution version of our sketches controlling by arduino-

 

 

Folding Paper Lamp – digital/analog lab

Last week I tried force sensor and this week I want to play with servo and potentiometer a bit more.

Inspired by Chinese folding fan and the feature that servo can only turn around 180 degrees, I came up with the idea of using servo to control a folding paper lamp.

As the paper folded by different angles, the shade of light would change subtly as well.

 

 

photo_1005_3a photo_1005_2a photo_1005_4a